Sunday, September 9, 2012

Baby Shower "Bun in the Oven" 3D Cupcake Holder

Happy Sunday!
I know it is late in the day....but I had to share with you this adorable little 3D oven that is perfect for cupcakes! I was looking online this morning when I seen this amazing oven and I was thinking it would be perfect for a baby shower! This is NOT my original idea although it is a tiny bit different from the original post. In the original there is a clear opening so you can actually see the cupcake. I do like it but as I was making this tutorial for the box I already glued it together...oops...lol...next time :)
So I changed it up a bit. Here is my version of the oven....you can see the original here
Thank you sooooo much for sharing Amanda Coleman! 


Here is a side view of this oven that is a 3 x 3 x 3 inch box.....
So after many hours and several pieces of paper I finally figured out how to make this box....I looked EVERYWHERE for a tutorial to make a box like this and was almost pulling my hair out for I wanted to soooo bad make this adorable oven for future baby showers.
I never did find a tutorial so I made my own up. :)


 So here is tutorial to make a 3 x 3 x 3 inch box out of paper:
First, you need a piece of white cardstock...i suggest using a heavier piece like bazzill, but for my tutorial I used a thinner piece since I used soooo many! lol
Score at 3, 6 and 9 inches both ways so you have little 3 x 3 x3 boxes.


Next cut as shown and fold.


Make 7 total of edges from the leftover pieces that you cut out. They should all be 1 inch x 3 inches.
The score at .5 inches long. You can use a corner punch if you like that look too.


Glue edges as shown here.


I suggest a good fasting acting glue like "art glitter" but you can also use tape if you like. 


Once you have the bottom of the box done then add 2 more edges to the top. 


I also added a small piece of paper still leftover from the 12 x 12 piece. It is .5 inches wide and 1 inch long. Fold it in half for this will be the oven opening. I meant to diecut or cut an opening for the window opening of the oven but I forgot before I glued it together. oops! So I made a different window using spellbinders "fleur de lis rectangles" the 2 smallest ones. The second smallest in white and smallest inside. Then cut another second smallest in pink and and added my font. Last layer them together.


This is for the top of the oven. Score another piece of the leftover cardstock at 1 inch, 2 inch and 2.5 inches. Then fold. 


Add big silver brads at .5 inch, 1 inch, 2 inch and 2.5 inch. 
I printed a clock on cardstock from online at .81 inches on white cardstock which ended up being approximately .75 inches total. If you have a clock brad that will be better...i didn't so I made one out of paper, add it to the center 1.5 inches. 


For the burners, I made 1 inch circles out of grey cardstock and added clear 1 inch buttons on top. 
then on the corner bottom right button I added a colored button in pink, but you use whatever your theme color you want it to be.


Glue the back and the buttons to the oven and add a small strip of .25 inch x 2.5 inch of grey cardstock for the handle with pop dots. Add ribbon across the top of the oven (there is an opening so it will be easier) and also add a ribbon bow around the handle as shown. 


Here is the opening of the oven...wish I made some cupcakes to show you how they fit...but I might eat them all! lol....


Hope you enjoyed my tutorial and give it a try soon! 
xoxo

2 comments:

Marisa Job said...

Wow!! This is a great project! Sooo cute!! Great tutorial too!!

Drea Slee said...

So cute and creative!!! I love it!! I'm following you now too!!